Multicenter study group to evaluate the prevalence of pulmonary metastases at thorax CT in patients undergoing radical nephrectomy with the following steps:
1) Database construction and enrollment of not less than 500 patients
2) Evaluation of pulmonary metastasization times in nephrectomised patients for a 1-year observation period
3) Evaluation of the costs and benefits of thorax CT in the preoperative evaluation and follow-up
4) Presentation and publication of results
CURRENT STATUS OF THE PROJECT AND MAIN RESULTS:
On 30 September 2018 the enrollment phase of the patients will be completed by the 13 participating centers. At the moment 713 patients with kidney cancer were enrolled. The results will be evaluated after the end of this date.
MAIN PUBLICATIONS OF THE RESEARCH GROUP:
1) Novara G, Ficarra V, Antonelli A, Artibani W, Bertini R, Carini M, Cosciani
Cunico S, Imbimbo C, Longo N, Martignoni G, Martorana G, Minervini A, Mirone V,
Montorsi F, Schiavina R, Simeone C, Serni S, Simonato A, Siracusano S, Volpe A,
Carmignani G; SATURN Project-LUNA Foundation. Validation of the 2009 TNM version
in a large multi-institutional cohort of patients treated for renal cell
carcinoma: are further improvements needed? Eur Urol. 2010 Oct;58(4):588-95.
2) Siracusano S, Novara G, Antonelli A, Artibani W, Bertini R, Carini M,
Carmignani G, Ciciliato S, Cunico SC, Lampropoulou N, Longo N, Martorana G,
Minervini A, Mirone V, Simeone C, Simonato A, Valotto C, Zattoni F, Ficarra V;
members of the SATURN Project - LUNA Foundation. Prognostic role of tumour
multifocality in renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. 2012 Dec;110(11 Pt B):E443-8.
3) Minervini A, Ficarra V, Rocco F, Antonelli A, Bertini R, Carmignani G,
Cosciani Cunico S, Fontana D, Longo N, Martorana G, Mirone V, Morgia G, Novara G,
Roscigno M, Schiavina R, Serni S, Simeone C, Simonato A, Siracusano S, Volpe A,
Zattoni F, Zucchi A, Carini M; SATURN Project-LUNA Foundation. Simple enucleation
is equivalent to traditional partial nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma:
results of a nonrandomized, retrospective, comparative study. J Urol. 2011
4) Volpe A, Novara G, Antonelli A, Bertini R, Billia M, Carmignani G, Cunico SC,
Longo N, Martignoni G, Minervini A, Mirone V, Simonato A, Terrone C, Zattoni F,
Ficarra V; Surveillance and Treatment Update on Renal Neoplasms (SATURN) Project;
Leading Urological No-Profit Foundation for Advanced Research (LUNA) Foundation.
Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma (RCC): oncological outcomes and prognostic
factors in a large multicentre series. BJU Int. 2012 Jul;110(1):76-83.